Mantis the Miasma: DEATH and the HORSEMAN





Listen up assholes, 

we the free and new Radikalz
Maybe you've been brainwashed too

all factual
So charged up and been tryna form a pair
Guess we formed a group, 

you get what you give, I swear

Had so many schizophrenic 

voices in my diagnosis
Formed a medical history 

 act like they don't notice
Radikal historia, 

himalayan lamps and philanthropists
Names are the game

must be why I drop the references

Check the list of influence 

To find out what's embedded in
Every single letter

foreign entities just entered in
On the stage, when we walk in

I bring latino heat
They keep tryna beat us down

like I lie, I steal, I cheat

Guerrero or Guevara

revolutionary either way
Onomatopoieas play 

while I keep my heat at bay
Tactically I'd rather 

leave the taciturn for packing burners
Only problem being 

it ain't legal after mental stay

Mantis the Miasma, ‘RADIKAL HISTORIA’





Have mystical/ spiritual themes always been central to your work? 


Yes, I've always been very contemplative about the purpose, origins, and essence of life. I enjoy writing about these themes as I learn my way through life and draw parallels. I also enjoy using my music to educate on different schools of thought 


When did you first begin writing and performing as Mantis the Miasma?


I began recording in 2013 when I was around 14 years old. My first release was in high school with Miasma EP followed in 2017 by Worth of My Birth.


Who and where is the HISTORIAN? And how did you come to make the BANSHEE ANTHOLOGYtogether?


The Historian is an amazing guy and (a) phenomenal producer. He's worked with a lot of underground heavy-hitters like Sleep Sinatra, Vic Spencer, AJ Suede, and Tha God Fahim, among others. He's on the west coast like me, we’re both based in the Los Angeles area.


I initially heard of The Historian on twitter, and I dug his production so I followed him. I saw him speak on his schizophrenia in twitter and DM'd him to voice support and show I sympathized with having the illness. A year or two later I asked him if he'd be down to send my a few beats, the first of which became ‘Matador’ and ‘Radikal HISTORIA’


How would you describe HISTORIANs musical style?


The Historian's production ranges in style but always feels very compelling and beautifully organized.


How do you approach collaboration with beatmakers and producers? Do you solicit new beats from your producers, or do they give you music already-completed?


It depends on the producer and the process. Usually the composition is already completed, though quite a few producers I've developed real bonds with have sent me beats they thought would suit me well. On Kamakiri Klouds, Tokyo produced the beats around my a capellas.


Do you get involved in the mixing and mastering of your music?


Yes, though I feel it's not my strongest suit Banshee Anthology and Hip Hop with a Twist of Lemon were mixed and mastered by me to the best of my ability.


What do you look for in a beat or a producer’s sound that makes you wanna write to their track?


I look for beats that are emotive and make me feel. My music is largely about dark themes but I like to experiment (with) different styles and subject matter so as long as I feel something that (can be) put into words, I'll try and write to it.


Who have you already done an album with that you’d like to work with again?


Definitely Tokyo Cigar, The Historian, and Iceberg Theory.


How did you hook up with Andrew Mbaruk? what was the situation in which you guys made the ‘twist of lemon’ album?


I was introduced to Andrew by our mutual friend Jouquin Fox of Beartooth Collective. Shouts out to him, cuna, and everyone in Beartooth! Jouquin originated the idea for RADIKALZ and while sending beats for us all to work on (including Will Black), Andrew wrote some verses to my beats for his collab with Vellum Bristol (Jouquin's producer alias), Ultraviolet Flamingo (which I also feature on).


Who’s the producer of KARAKIKI KLOUDS?


The legend, Tokyo Cigar. He approached me about making the album and I'm glad we did.


What are u currently working on?


Cold Soul 2Mementomology (produced by Dr. Khil), and many more that I can't announce quite yet.









What kinds of new releases excite u?


Anything that isn't afraid to push boundaries. I highly anticipate Backwoodz Studios releases, as well as those on POW Recordings.


What’s your cultural background and how does that influence what comes out in your artwork?


I've lived in Southern California my entire life. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley where I live now, but also spent many years in California City. I'm half European Jew and half Mexican, so a lot of my lyrics are about that reconciliation of identity. I've always grown up in impoverished areas and the pain of that is put into my music too.


Who are some current rappers ur excited to listen to in 2023?


Skech185, Fatboi Sharif, Defcee, and Vic Spencer.


Your favourite active producers/beatmakers?


The Historian, LUNAR, Foule Monk, Iceberg Theory, Skelbeats, Blank Thought, August Fanon, and Messiah Musik


What are your musical influences? 

favourite groups and rappers?

non hip hop musical influences ?


My major influences outside of hip-hop are the bands Rush, Black Sabbath, Nirvanam My favorite rappers are MF DOOM, ScHoolboy Q, Iceberg Theory, and Lamon Manuel. My favorite groups are Migos, Wu-Tang, and OutKast.


What are your lyrical inspirations outside of hip hop? What do u read or watch?


I get a lot of inspiration from video games, listening to audiobooks of classic novels as well as non-fiction writing on philosophy. I watch a lot of anime and sci-fi shows/movies as well. I’ve taken  a lot of inspiration from Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke and The Island of Dr. Moreauby HG Wells for example.


Do you ever make your own beats?


Yes, in addition to producing Hip Hop with a Twist of Lemon with Andrew Mbaruk, I produced half of Cold Soul, including the tracks ‘Twisted Colossus’ and ‘Atmospherics’.


How would you describe the style of beats you make? 


My beats range in style as well, I spend a lot of time making beats that never see the light of day which primarily use VSTs, while I also like to sample and combine multiple sample sources into a single beat. I like creating drum patterns that feel fresh (and also) compose melodies, usually following a minor key with some accidentals.










How would you describe Andrew Mbaruks music?


Philosophical, evocative, and personal.


What’s your favourite MF Doom beat?


Of all time, I'd probably say Popsnot off Vaudeville Villain.


Favourite Wu Tang albums ?


Supreme Cliente, Enter the 36 Chambers, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx


Favourite Migos song?


Bars off of YRN 2


Favourite sci fi / anime movie soundtrack?


2001: A Space Odyssey and A Silent Voice


What’s your opinion of pop or mainstream hip hop in 2023?


Hip-Hop's underground is thriving while the mainstream seems primarily stuck on artists from last decade. I'd like to see more up-and-coming artists achieve success on their own terms. I'd also like to see more sonic variety in terms of production.


Who are your favourite Canadian rappers?


Jazz Cartier, Andrew Mbaruk, and Slumber Logic


How have your music and lyrics changed since the first MIASMA THE MANTIS releases?


My vocal delivery has definitely improved, my lyrics have gotten less wordy and more direct rather than cryptic. My sound overall has also definitely developed to include a larger range of subject matter.


If you had 10,000,000 USD, how would you spend it to help reduce the stigmas of mental illness?


This is a great question. I would organize seminars on the topic with notable people speaking on their experiences with mental illness and how they cope with their diagnoses. I would also probably donate to the Suicide and Crisis hotline. However, the unfortunate truth is mental illness is an issue money can't solve solely.


What do you study at UCLA?


I finished with a Bachelors of Science in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics with a Music Industry minor.

The music industry minor was a great learning experience and a nice reprieve from my biological studies. It helped me tune my ear and experiment with genres I'd usually never consider. My current job is as a Clinical Research Assistant but my longterm goal is to be a Clinical Cytogeneticist. In my current role I examine patients for clinical trials to get medicine approved by the FDA. As a Clinical Cytogeneticist I would examine chromosome abnormalities to detect mutations and link them to specific diseases. Many genetic diseases are close to my heart in that theyve impacted me and my loved ones which motivates my research goals. Some examples are schizophrenia (myself) and autism (my older brother). Another major research goal of mine is to extend human lifespan and combat the aging process.





Why can't I see you? 

Why can't I feel you?
Voices disembodied,

 talked back and said they real too
What kind of trick or affliction is this?
I just want to live, but now I'm seen as a misfit


Schizo, regrettably
I still remember what she said to me
I can pinpoint chronologically
The events before and after the shadow creeped


Felt like a devil was possessing me
Practically dead, this some puppetry
Hanging loosely by the strings
At my palms, stigmata stings

Spectating my own body in POV
While a hellish creature 

commandeers control of me
Covering up my third eye

like upholstery
Folding all my cards, 

hole surrounding where my soul should be


BANSHEE verse 2




MANTIS THE MIASMA, songs available on Spotify and Bandcamp 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RAVEN DUCHESS: FOLKLORE album review

UGGGY prescribes his TINY LITTLE CAPSULES